Tuesday, June 30, 2009

From the RAAM site


VIC'S RAAMIFICATIONS
KEVIN KAISER: "I didn't leave a whole lot on the table."
Annapolis, MD
June 28, 2009

By Vic Armijo

Kevin Kaiser arrived in Annapolis this morning, posting a time of 10 days, 17 hours and 3 minutes. While he originally had a goal of something closer to ten-days even, that plan went by the wayside due to stomach issues that he suffered through in the first couple of days, "I got pounded in the desert pretty good," he said, "I lost a good ten hours there."

Somewhere out there in the heat of the desert, with his stomach in knots he recalled the rider introduction," Standing on that stage back in Oceanside with those 27 other incredible athletes, I had to ask myself, 'Do I really belong here?'" His answer to himself was a resounding "Yes." As he began to feel better his speed increased and, "And from then on we were just trying to claw a few minutes wherever we could."

Indeed. This reporter waited at more than one time station, hoping to get a word or two with Kaiser, only to see him roll by without stopping, "I wanted to avoid any unnecessary time off the bike," he explained, "We hurried in and out whenever and wherever we could." He kept a tortuous sleep schedule, getting only 3 hours of shut-eye a day, in two 90 minutes stints

Most RAAM riders will a recall that "funniest moment" of their RAAM experience. But Kaiser said "There wasn't anything funny about it! I had to focus for 11 straight days!" This isn't to say that he didn't enjoy RAAM, "I was impressed with all the athletes. We'd all help one another if we could—encourage each other, cheer and say nice things. Great camaraderie out there."

In the end Kaiser was proud of his achievement, "Anything under 11 days is fine by me. That's an average time for a rookie. But with those first couple of days…"

This is Kaiser's second RAAM in two years. Last year he teamed with friend Jeff Bauer on the 2-rider team "Gran Fondo Fixie," riding on fixed gear bikes. Ouch! While the two have no plans of repeating their coast-to-coast-no-coast feat, Kaiser did say that "Maybe there's some other crazy thing we can come up with to do."

And what of Kaiser coming back as a solo? "Maybe in a few years," he said with a chuckle, "I've been neglecting my wife a few years already. I think I'll need to take a nice vacation with her before I start talking about another RAAM!"

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kevin,

    Incredible race that you did! Coming back from behind is pretty impressive, especially on a race like RAAM.

    And yes, you're absolutely right about the camaraderie between teams and riders. We're all on the same boat after all!


    Congrats to you and your team.

    Patrick Autissier

    ReplyDelete