Saturday, June 13, 2009

Getting to the Start

After some weather delays, Chris and I flew to San Diego last
night and arrived around midnight. Gary Carter spent some long days
on the road driving the pace van (from Georgia) and he was there to
pick us up from the airport. We're getting some maintenance done on
the van now and hope to do some riding this afternoon. The plan today
will be to drive up the RAAM route to about mile 30 or 40, do some
climbing in the heat, and then descend the Glass Elevator into the
desert. It will be a short ride, but should remind me of what to
expect on day one of RAAM.

I'm starting to get excited. However, I haven't decided how much
I should try to focus on the task ahead of me. The more I think about
it the more nervous I get.

Kevin

3 comments:

  1. Best wishes to Kevin and everyone involved. I'm a randonneur who's been out of the saddle for awhile with health problems, but I'll be watchin' from a distance as you guys make your way across the country. Be Safe! I'll be cheering you on every day!

    Lloyd Lemons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,

    Good luck. I can't imagine riding a solo RAAM. In fact you're the first RAAM solo starter I've ever known. I'll be tracking your progress.

    Mike D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and have a great time!

    I look forward to following the blog and keeping up with the ride on the RAMM website.

    Talk to you soon!
    Lisa Butkus (Tim Bols friend "the sleeper")

    ReplyDelete