Friday, June 26, 2009

Update from Jeff

Kevin passed through Athens, Ohio less than an hour ago,
and the terrain is pretty moderate until he reaches
Parkersburg, WV. The traffic through Parkersburg can
make navigation difficult.

From Parkersburg he enters some of the most challenging
sections of RAAM, about 163 feet of climbing per mile. When
I went on shift for him on this section last year he was
pale with exhaustion. But Kevin's a strong climber, and
with actual gears he should do well. The high today should
be 80F with a 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms, so the
temps are now working in his favor. However, don't be
surprised if his average speed drops here.

With less than 440 miles to go, Kevin appears to be locked
into a 4th place finish with Jure Robic's departure from the
race. Jim Rees may have to fight off Christopher Gottwald
for 5th place as their gap has dropped to 66 minutes.
Marco Baloh's speed is dropping, though with less than 270
miles to finish, we can expect him to hold 3rd place. He has
more incentive to make a podium finish, though probably
unhappy for the reason, given that his friend and fellow
Slovenian Robic dropped out. Marco has only one more
difficult section of riding to Hancock, MD, then the
terrain eases.

Kevin will require at least one (maybe two) more naps before
he finishes in Annapolis tomorrow night where he can enjoy
a well-earned rest along with his crew.

--
Jeff Bauer
Nashville, Tennessee

3 comments:

  1. So far RAAM has not offiically listed Robic as DNF--wonder why? The solo RAAM blogs are toting Kevin's effort very positively. Kevin just remember it's not over until you cross the finish line in Annapolis and keep on pedaling.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominate Jeff to the official RAAM press for next year. Thanks for the top rate commentary Jeff! Keep it coming and way to go Kevin!

    Jim Shanni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure is great getting reports from Jeff and Troy. Thanks, guys.

    I spoke again this morning with Phil Cohen, of the crew. Phil told me that Kevin had slept an hour and a half, then rode back to back seven hour centuries. That's including time off the bike twice for weather conditions which forced stops.

    Kevin, that's some pretty serious speed, especially this many miles into the race.

    I talked to Doyce today. He's been keeping up as well as he can, but has no internet at his farm where he's working. He already knew how well you were doing, Kevin, but was blown away by the seven hour centuries, as was I. I haven't often heard Doyce sound so excited.

    That's pretty much the story everywhere. Everybody's excited, Kevin.

    I see from the leaderboard that this is turning into a race. It makes me think about that tee shirt Phil gave me, my favorite tee shirt, the one that says, "Pain Is Temporary" on the front. I only care about you finishing the ride, Kevin, but I know you care about beating the other guys, especially the other Americans. I know you're digging deep already. And, I know you're going to pull out the best there is.

    Kevin, you've already shown most everybody you've got the stuff.

    It looks like there's one more guy to show though. They say he's fast. I say you're a better climber and plenty fast enough. They say he sleeps a lot. I say you're the best person I've ever heard of at going strong without sleep. I say it's about staying on the bike and that's your strong suit. Well, one of your strong suits. You've got so many strengths, Kevin.

    I can remember a bunch of rides where I thought I had you coming back through the bomb plant. Times when you were dropped for sure, mine at last. Yeah, that's what I thought, but I was wrong every time. You always found a way to catch me and beat me.

    Now's the time to dig way deep, Kevin.

    It won't much matter to anyone but you, but I know how you are. It's like the other times, like the North Georgia 200K: The only way to be sure is to go so fast and so hard and be so steady and strong that you amaze everyone. Even yourself.

    I have an absolute and certain knowledge that you're The Man, Kevin.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete