Friday, June 5, 2009

T minus 10 days

I haven't ridden enough miles, I haven't been fast enough, and I'm mentally weak. All that said, I'm probably about as ready as I'm ever going to be for the start of RAAM. Perhaps I reached my peak fitness a little early this year, but I've kept up enough to remain in good shape. Realistically, I don't think I'll ever be much stronger on the bike. Now I just have to keep reminding myself that I'm not a rabbit, never will be, and need to ride like a tortoise. I'm hoping that all the long hours I'm spending at work this week will take my mind off the task at hand and help me relax.

I'll drop off the pace van with Gary Monday or Tuesday and I'll be flying to California on Friday. We're mostly packed and ready and I think everyone is starting to get excited. The plan will be to keep this blog updated about every 8 hours during the race, so we'll see how that goes.

Kevin

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kevin,

    Good luck on RAAM. I think you will do really well. Reading your "T Minus 10 Days" post, I think you have exactly the right mindset you need for a successful race. It is normal (and I believe healthy) to be a little aprehensive about an event like RAAM. It shows an appreciation for the daunting task which lies ahead and should help you to ride with your head as well as your heart. There will undoubtedly be riders who leave the starting line like a rocket, but unless your last name is Robic, that's probably not a very effective strategy.

    RAAM is not a race to the Arizona Border and a smooth and consistent rider like you will definitely have the advantage over the course of a 9 to 12 day event like RAAM. Let the first day heros go. You will have the opportunity to see them again in a day or two as you spin smoothly past them on your way to a podium finish.

    I'll see you at the start.

    Charlie Combs

    ReplyDelete